Solar inverter is an important electronic device which converts dc electricity generated from solar panels photovoltaic system or dc batteries system to ac electricity that can be used to operate our household appliances, commercial/ industrial buildings, etc. The solar inverter mainly consists of step-up transformer, voltage regulator, mosfet driver and some other small electronics components.
There are three main different types of solar inverters on inverter.com store: Off grid inverter, grid tie inverter and micro grid inverter. Each type is used for certain application under certain circumstances.
Solar inverter advantages:
There are six main advantages, we can summarize as following:
- Solar inverter has constantly assisted us in reducing global warming and greenhouse effect, as the solar energy usage in photovoltaic systems mainly depends on the inverter.
- Solar invertersaves our money by reducing our electricity bills or totally eliminate them, in addition it is considered as ac power source to sell electricity to electric power utility and other users.
- Solar inverter assists people in remote area where shortage of electricity supply, those people can depend in solar inverter in getting all their life needs of electricity.
- Solar inverter can synchronize with other electrical power supply or used alone, and can be sourced in wide range of power capacities, so it can be used for small homeowners as well as large electrical distribution companies.
- Solar inverter output is ac pure sine wave, same as the wave we get from traditional power supply, so it can be used to run all kinds of residential/ commercial/ industrial loads (motor, electronics, heaters, etc.).
- Solar inverter is cost effective when comparing with diesel generators.
Solar inverter disadvantages:
There are three advantages, we can summarize as following:
- The solar inverter is an expensive equipment; it represents approx. 30% of the whole solar photovoltaic system price.
- The solar inverter will work efficiently on day light only and when the solar radiation is strong enough, so the overall solar panels system dc output voltage must hit the solar inverter lower dc voltage level otherwise, the inverter will not work.
- The solar inverter depends mainly on solar panels which needs large space to collect sun lights.
At the end, as the solar inverter is the heart of the photovoltaic solar system, scientists and specialized manufacturers are doing their best to promote the inverter industry, so this trend is growing quickly and anew featured solar inverters arise quickly.