The system is widely applicable to all grid-connected properties, warehouses or commercial buildings. Our solution is designed for grid-connected installation (single or three phase) with the ultimate goal to reduce the dependence on the supply of the grid and to maximize the self-consumption for the energy produced by the solar panels.
In this article, Inverter.com will explain in a very simple way and a few steps how a photovoltaic system can be integrated to your home when your home is connected to the national grid.
The primary goal of a self-consumption system is to optimise the use of solar and/or wind power. The major obstacle in such a system is that power generation times do not match the actual times of power use. This results in a system being forced to import energy from the grid and export it when there is a surplus. In an optimised self-consumption system, surplus energy is stored locally for local on-demand use. Such energy storage is becoming an increasingly attractive proposition, especially with feed-in tariffs decreasing and grid supplies becoming less stable and more expensive.
It is important to mention that the system is always connected to the grid but the grid supplies in parallel with the inverter/solar panels the energy demand of the household.
And it is important to explain that a hybrid solar inverter will power the AC-loads but if the energy demand exceeds the capacity of the inverter or the batteries are not fully charged, the surplus energy will be withdrawn from the grid. In simple terms if the load is 5kW but the inverter can only supply 4 kW then 1 kW will be supplied by the grid.
This is a major difference between off-grid inverters and hybrid grid inverters, the off-grid system will go into bypass mode if the power demand exceeds the rating of the inverter and all the energy will come from the grid.
Characteristic of Hybrid Solar Inverter For Self-consumption:
- The inverter will be the main source of electricity for the household.
- The grid will supply any surplus energy if the consumption exceeds the power rating of the inverter.
- On cloudy days the grid will top up the batteries and supply energy to the house.
- The batteries are charged from solar first.
- A charge timer will be used to charge the batteries with the economy rate. (low-cost electricity)
- Inverter and grid run in parallel feeding power to the loads.
- Export to the grid can be controlled from 0Watt to maximum power.